LONELINESS TOWARDS SMARTPHONE ADDICTIONS WITH SOCIAL ANXIETY AS MEDIATOR VARIABLE FOR INDONESIAN STUDENTS


LONELINESS TOWARDS SMARTPHONE ADDICTIONS WITH SOCIAL ANXIETY AS MEDIATOR VARIABLE FOR INDONESIAN STUDENTS

By:
Tri Naimah , Atsna Vina Fastaqima
Faculty Psychology, Universitas Muhammadiyah Purwokerto, Indonesia
2 Faculty Psychology, Universitas Muhammadiyah Purwokerto, Indonesia


ABSTRACT

Study aimed at determining the quality of the smartphone addiction with social anxiety as a mediator variable. This research was conducted on Indonesian Students. There were 135 students as the respondents. The data were collected by using smartphone addiction scale, loneliness scale and social anxiety scale. Cronbach Alpha was used to test the reliability. The product moment was used to test the validity. The data were analyzed using multiple linear regression analysis of path analysis. The results of data analysis obtained F count (13,285) with p value of (0,000) <α (0.05) and t count 0.417 with p value = 0.677> 0.05, so the proposed hypothesis is accepted. There is the effect of loneliness towards smartphone addiction with social anxiety as a variable mediator for Indonesian Students. The determinant coefficient showed that social anxiety effectively contributed as the mediator variable to the effect of loneliness on smartphone addiction of 16.8%, while the remaining of 83.2% was influenced by other variables that were not revealed in this study.
Keywords: social anxiety, loneliness, smartphone addiction, Indonesian students